- California National Primate Research Center
Utilizing rhesus macaques, Dr. Ardeshir studies how gut microbial communities contribute to the development of immune system after birth and investigates their critical role in the balance between health and disease state. In particular he is interested in the following questions:
- What are the mechanisms that shape the establishment of the gut microbiota after birth?
- What is the role of the microbiota on development of healthy immune system, including response to vaccines and other interventions against infectious diseases?
- What are the consequences of disruption of the balanced gut flora at early age?
- What are effective therapeutics to modify the perturbed microbial communities?